Quest 3 Official Hint Book
page is about the official Space Quest 3 hint book, released by
Sierra in 1989. It is of the usual Sierra hint book size, namely
15 x 11.5 centimeters and contains 36 pages. You could use the so-called
"Adventure Window" to reveal the hidden clues. A funny
note: the hint book is written by Mark and Sandy Crowe!
closeup (80 KB) - walktrough
section (136 KB)
All I do is
wander around. Is this it?
- The most important thing of playing an adventure
game is to "look" at everything.
- Every time you walk into a new area "look". You will
always get a general description of the area where you are currently
standing and sometimes an important clue. Read the text windows
- Map your progress on a piece of paper in case you need to go back
to a specific area.
What's the point
of this game, anyway?
- Didn't you read the documentation that came
with this game?
- Universally famous software designers, those Two Guys from Andromeda,
have been kidnapped and are being held captive by software pirates.
- It is up to you, Roger Wilco, to rescue them from a fate worse
than death: ... churning out mindless arcade games for a disreputable
software company known as ScumSoft.
If I die and
have to start this game over one more time, I'm going to throw it
out the window!
- Make sure you "save" your game
a lot! Go to the menu bar at the top of your screen and choose "Save"
from the "File" menu.
- If you make a mistake and die, "Restore" your game rather
than starting over from the beginning.
- Before doing something in the game that looks potentially dangerous,
save your game.
- You are not limited to the 12 slots shown. You can create as many
subdirectories as you wish, and save games there. You can even save
games on multiple disks.
Roger goes too
fast! Roger goes too slow!
- Use the "Speed" menu to select
a new speed.
- On some computers, you can use the plus (+) or minus (-) keys
on your numeric keypad to move faster or slower.
How do I look
at the objects in my inventory?
- Choose "Inventory" from the "Action"
- If you want to "look" at a particular object, type "look"
and the name of the object you want to see.
- Or, you can highlight the object in the inventory window by using
your mouse or the tab key.
is boring. Will I ever get out of here?
- I don't know!
- You'll have to find a ship that's in pretty good shape to fly
out of here.
- Climb through the robot's eye to find a suitable spaceship.
near a large robot head and I can't seem to go anywhere except back
the way I came.
- "look" around the room.
- You will need to use your climbing abilities.
- Climb up the side of the large robot head where the eye is broken.
- Be careful, though. If you walk too close to the edge you will
fall off and die.
When I try to
walk south from where the giant robot head is setting, I always
fall off of a cliff.
- Don't walk that way.
- Maybe there is a safer way of going down.
- Try climbing through the robot's eye where it is broken.
How do I get
inside the large ship in the trash pit?
- You'll need something to assist you in climbing
- Gosh, if you only had a ladder!
- Find the rat's lair and get the ladder.
the Vorillian Orb. What should I do with it?
- Ah ha! Gotcha!
- This is a perfect example of a trick question. This book is chock-full
- Now slap your hand and repeat after me... I will not use this
book to cheat ever again!
I see a vertical
conveyor with buckets carrying trash somewhere. Should I be doing
anything with it?
- It might be a good way to get a lift!
- Stand in the spot where the trash buckets come up. One will pick
you up and take you somewhere.
Help! The trash
bucket dumped me onto a conveyor belt and I'm heading for the grinder.
- You'd better get up... and fast!
- Stand up.
- You could try walking the opposite direction of the conveyor belt
while you think this through.
- Are you tired of walking yet?
- The rails above you could be helpful.
- Jump up and grab the rail.
on the rail, but fall off every time I try to make it around the
corner on either end. How can I walk all the way around?
- You can't.
- You're a good acrobat but not that good!
- You'll need to catch a ride with whatever uses this rail.
I've found the
jet pack. What should I do with it?
- The only jetpack in the Space Quest series
is in Space Quest 1: The Sarien Encounter.
- If you haven't purchased a copy of it yet, we strongly suggest
you do so!
- This is a trick question!
While on the
rail, I've walked into a room where a robot is closely watching
several monitors. How do I get off this rail and on with the game?
- It doesn't look like you can go "up"
- You need to find a good place to climb down.
- Take a ride on a grabber.
- Climb down where the grabber connects to the rail.
the grabber, but a robot keeps zapping me.
- I guess the robot just doesn't like you
snooping around his ship.
- You'll have to be a little faster about getting on the grabber.
- Don't waste so much time in this area.
How do I make
the grabber move?
- Did you "look" at the controls?
- Use your arrow keys.
I rode the grabber
all the way around the rail, where should I get off?
- You'll have to park it where there's a place
to step out.
- Go back to where you found the grabber.
- Stop at the place where the floor sticks out towards the rail
and exit the grabber.
down a chute and there are several large, fierce rats looking down
at me... What now?
- Don't worry about the rats... at least not
- Hey, there's a ladder here!
- Whatever is powering those lights might come in handy later.
I've found the
time door key, but it needs batteries. Where can I find them?
- Cheater! Cheater!
- Another trick question. There is NO time door key.
- Ha! Ha! Ha!
How do I move
about once I'm inside the large spaceship?
- About all you can do here is look at the
computer and sit in the pilot seat.
- Type "look computer" and "sit down."
- You need to figure out how to get this bird off the ground.
I'm inside the
spaceship. How come I can't sit in the passenger seats?
- Because you are the pilot.
- Those passenger seats will come in handy later.
- The Two Guys from Andromeda will be sitting there if you'll hurry
up and rescue them. Get moving!
What do I do
once I'm in the pilot's seat?
- Have you "looked" at everything?
- You won't be able to do anything here until you've made some necessary
repairs to this ship.
- Look at your computer screen. Pay close attention. It will tell
you what need to be repaired.
I'm inside the
large ship, but it's as dead as a door nail.
- The ship's computer might have a clue.
- A spaceship needs power to operate.
- You need to find a power supply (reactor) and install it in the
compartment on the floor.
everywhere but I can't find a power supply for the ship.
- Rats! If only you could find a place where
electricity was in use.
- Non-UL approved wired will lead the way to a portable power supply.
- Follow the wires in the pack rat's underground lair (where you
fell from the chute).
- Go all the way to the left of the picture, then down. If you "look
at the wall" you'll find a hole with the reactor in it.
No matter what
I try, I can't get into the little round space pod in the trash
- You can't get in it.
- You don't need it. It's just for the looks.
A big rat mugged
me in the tunnel of a space tanker. How come?
- Because you stole his reactor.
- He just stole the reactor back from you.
- Go back to where you found the reactor and you'll find all of
your belongings. Don't worry, he won't bother you again.
Every time I
enter the tunnel, I get zapped by the death beam.
- Yeah - right! Give me a break.
- Quit cheating.
- In case you haven't guessed by now, this is another trick question.
Golly gee whiz!
Do I have to go all the way back up the grabber again to get back
to the rat's lair?
- Remember where you came out of the lair and how?
- Go back to where you crawled out of the lair, just in front of
the Bow-Tie fighter, and lower the ladder.
- Climb down the ladder.
the reactor but the cable is too short to hook it up.
- Obviously, you need more cable.
- Some old wire would probably work great.
- Inside of an old space tanker (tunnel) might be a good place to
- Hanging from a panel in the wall of the stripped-down space tanker
are some frayed wires. Get them.
power to the ship but I still can't get it to fly.
- There must still be something with the ship.
- Check the diagnostic computer for information on the ship's condition.
- Apparently, the warp motivator is missing.
- The diagnostic computer will show you what a motivator looks like.
I need to find
a warp motivator before I can take off, but I can't seem to find
- The diagnostic computer shows you what one
- You're sure to find one laying around on the ground somewhere.
- Look around the other room for a round object resembling a small
flying saucer half buried. That's it!
I found a motivator,
but it's too heavy to pick it up.
- It would take some heavy machinery to move
the motivator to the ship.
- A grabber would sure come in handy right about now.
- Use the grabber found overhead on the rail to pick up and move
Thanks to the
Orwellian spies, I'm now scattered from down to dusk.
- No, no, no. That's Manhunter you ninny!
- Trick question.
I'm on the grabber
but I can't get it to pick up anything.
- Did you look at the controls?
- There's a claw button on the control panel.
- Lower the claw to pick up and lower the motivator.
How do I know
where to lower the claw once I've located the motivator?
- Just keep trying. Eventually you will find
the correct area.
- The claw will not pick up anything else except the motivator.
- If you make a map of the upper area (where the grabber goes around
the rail) and match it to a map of the lower area (on the ground)
you should be able to see exactly where you need to lower the claw
to pickup the motivator.
Hey! How do
I fly this ship anyway?
- Are you sitting in the pilot's seat?
- Look at the controls in front of you.
- Look at the computer. Use your mouse or number keys to select
When I finally
take off in the ship, I always collide with the ceiling of the freighter.
- Did you carefully read the message when
- Turn on your radar before you take off. This will prevent your
ship from bumping into the ceiling.
I finally take
off but the ship stops in mid-air, and I can't find a way out of
- Good thing you had the radar on.
- Your ship is surrounded by metal on all sides.
- You'll have to blast you way out.
- Activate you weapons system...
- And shoot a hole in the side of the freighter.
I always blow
up while trying to blast out of the freighter.
- You need to protect your ship from the explosion.
- Activate your shield.
- Turn on your weapon system and select one of the shield buttons.
I'm flying through
space with the rocket belt, but I keep getting space bugs in my
- Sorry, but there is no rocket belt, there
are no space bugs and you're cheating again, aren't you?
I go into light speed, a spaceship, piloted by a mean looking Android,
materialized. Words appeared across his optic scanner, but the only
thing I could make out was the word "terminate". Who is
this clown anyway?
- His name is Arnoid and he's a terminator
- He's after you for something you did in Space Quest II.
- You'll more than likely run into him again... Soon!
- You should be!
Oh no! Space
slugs have attached themselves to my forehead. What now?
- Space slugs?
- I don't think so.
- You need to have your eyes examined!
- Caught you cheating again!
I'm inside Monolith
Burger, but I don't have any money to by food.
- You need to find some money.
- You have something of value to sell someone.
- Go to Phleebhut and sell your glowing gem to Fester at World O'
is too hard to play.
- Slow down.
- Put yourself in slow mode until you get the hang of it and are
good enough to play at normal speed.
- See your reference card for details on how to slow down.
- Don't make the mistake of holding down the up arrow (flap)key.
Push to flap, push again to stop.
Do I really
need to play this stupid game?
- However, it might provide you with some clues that will make playing
Space Quest 3 easier.
Astro Chicken for awhile, some symbols resembling words appear on
- It's a secret coded message.
- You need the decoder ring to decode the secret message.
- Buy a Monolith fun meal. You'll find the ring while you are eating
- "Use the ring" to decode the message while it is on
Hey! While I
was eating my hamburger, I bit into a prize. Should I do anything
- Did you "look" at it?
- Use the ring to decode the secret message found while playing
the Astro Chicken arcade game.
I've been playing
Astro Chicken, but I haven't seen a message.
- Keep trying, you will!
- The message will come up after 10 successful landings or after
you have tried to play the game 10 times.
Help!!! I keep
getting eaten by a big snake!
- Back off!
- Immediately go back out the same direction you came in.
- This is just Mark and Scott's way of keeping you from straying
from your objective. Don't go that way!
Every time I
try to throw the bridle on the snake, it eats me.
- Well, stop doing that!
- There is no bridle in this game.
- Darn! Another trick question.
How do I keep
from getting killed by the scorpazoid?
- Don't let him catch you!
- Avoid it.
- Stay close to the edge of your screen. If the scorpazoid appears,
leave the room immediately and then return again. Chances are, it
won't be there when you come back.
Oh no! The Anterean
Slime Devil imploded when I tries to eat it!
- How embarrassing for you.
- I told you there were a lot of trick questions in here.
- This is one of them.
Darn it! I don't
have any money to buy souvenirs at World O' Wonders.
- Maybe you have something Fester would like.
- Take a close look at Fester's rock collection.
- Sell him you glowing gem (orium). But, hold out for a fair price.
- If you are really greedy and want to get the most buckazoids for
your orium, take Fester's third offer.
Now that I have
money, which souvenir(s) should I buy from Fester?
- You could be greedy and buy them all...
But that's not necessary!
- Look at all of the different objects in the shop - not just the
ones Fester is trying to sell you.
- Did you read some of the postcards on the rack? They're very entertaining
and possibly helpful!
- Thermoweave underwear could come in handy on a hot planet!
Every time I
open the display case in front of World O' Wonders the Anterean
Slime Devil kills me.
- Don't open the display case - stupid!
- I told you the answer, so why are you reading this?
- Fine! If you want to continue getting killed by the Slime Devil
that's your business.
Help! The rock
beasts have stolen my anti-gravity boots!
- Nice try, pal!
- You've become the victim of another trick question.
Arnoid the Terminator
has caught up with me outside World O' Wonders. How can I avoid
- You can't. It's part of the game.
- When he's done talking to you, don't hang around!
How do I get
back to my ship before the Terminator kills me?
- You'll have to find a way to terminate the
- Find the elevator in Mog's foot.
- Go up the elevator and climb the stairs to the second level.
- Swing the pulley at the Terminator once he gets close enough to
- Lure the Terminator under the pulsating pods hanging from the
rock in the desert (this will earn you more points).
I keep getting
sucked under the sand by the Grell. What gives?
- You're playing the wrong game!
- That was in Space Quest 1.
- What a sucker!
Every time I
get too close to the mountains I get struck by lightning.
- You're getting too close to the lightning
- Don't you get it? Mark and Scott don't want you to go any farther
north than this!
How do I get
the invisibility belt without getting eaten by the pulsating pods?
- You need something else besides your hands
to grab the belt.
- A pole or stick might do the trick.
- Hey! An Orat on a Stick could come in real handy!
- "Use Orat on a Stick" to "grab the belt".
You'll have to buy one at World O' Wonders.
How do I keep
from melting on the planet Ortega?
- You need something to keep your body cool.
- Some thermoweave underwear would do the trick.
- Buy the thermoweave underwear from Fester on Phleebhut.
- Don't forget to "wear" them.
apes have taken me away in their hovercraft. Now what?
- That might be so if you where playing Space
Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge.
- This must be really embarrassing for you...
- Falling for another trick question like this!
I stumbled across
someone's spaceship. What should I do?
- You can't get the ship from where are.
- It might be best to leave the ship alone.
- It's a Scumsoft pirate ship.
- There might be some Scumsoft lackeys nearby.
Whenever I walk
up to the Scumsoft lackeys they zap me with a jello ray.
- They probably don't like you.
- Be patient, maybe they'll go away.
- Wait until they go to their spaceship and fly away before you
walk into their research site.
I saw the Scumsoft
lackeys fly away in their spaceship. Should I do anything with the
equipment they left behind?
- Sure! Check it out!
- Look through the telescope.
- Look in the crate.
- That sure is a nice pole.
the research camp, I've discovered gold! Is there any use for it?
- Maybe if you were playing Gold Rush but
not here in the Space Quest Universe.
- Gotcha again! Sorry!
I'm at the top
of the volcano. How do I get to the large machine in the middle
of the crater?
- You'll have to find a space between the
lava rocks to squeeze through.
- Walk towards the machine where the large gap is, on the right
side of your screen.
- When you find the stairs, walk down them.
Is there anything
I should be doing while I'm inside the crater at the base of the
- Did you decode the message in the Astro
Chicken game at Monolith Burger?
- Climb up the ladder.
- You need to blow up the force field created by the generator without
killing yourself in the process.
I'm at the top
of the generator. What do I do now?
- Have you decoded the secret message at Monolith
- You will need to use the detonator you took from the crate at
the seismic research sight.
- Drop the detonator into the hole. This will blow up the generator
and turn off the beam.
On my way back
to my ship the shaky lava rock bridge has disappeared and I cannot
- It's narrow enough that you could possibly
pole vault over it.
- Let's see, wasn't there a pole around here somewhere?
- Go back south of here to the seismic research site and get the
pole with the anemometer on it.
- "Use the pole" to jump to the other side.
up before I can get off of it.
- Don't waste time wandering around.
- After blowing up the generator, immediately go back to your ship
and take off.
I know there
is a planet Pestulon somewhere, but I can't find it on my navigation
system. Where is it?
- The Pirates of Pestulon do not want to be
- Have you decoded the secret message in the Astro Chicken game
at Monolith yet?
- Pestulon is a small moon revolving Ortega. A force field generated
on Ortega prevents it from being detected by your navigation scanner.
- After you blow up the generator and take off, do another navigation
a strange alien in a white, polyester leisure suit. Is he dangerous?
- Only if you're playing Leisure Suit Larry
in the Land of the Lounge Lizards.
- It's a great game and you should rush right down to your dealer
and buy one...
- Right after you finish this game.
guards shoot me every time I try to enter the building. How do I
- Somehow you need to get by without letting
the guards see you.
- Wouldn't it be neat if you could become invisible?
- Hey, wait a minute! Didn't that Terminator back on Phleebhut have
an invisibility belt?
- If you don't have it, go back and find it!
the invisibility belt, but for some reason I'm not invisible. What's
- Try turning it on, nit wit!
- Turn on your belt before leaving your hiding place overlooking
the Scumsoft entrance.
- You don't have very much power so don't dilly dally!
to make my way inside a circular hallway, but I'm not sure where
to go from here.
- Try walking through some doors.
- Some of the doors aren't locked and will open automatically when
you properly approach them.
- If this is too tough, try slowing down the speed.
Now that I've
opened the door, I can't get the Zanti misfits to crawl into the
- I have that problem all the time.
- Shame on you for reading all the answers.
- And you call yourself an adventurer!
- This is just another one of those questions we made up to trick
How can I get
into the Accounting Department without getting caught?
- Disguising yourself as a Scumsoft employee
would be a great idea, don't you think?
- If you ask me, no one makes a better janitor than you.
- Find the janitor's closet in the hallway.
- Get the coveralls.
How come I still
can't walk through the Accounting Department even though I'm wearing
- You look like a janitor but you're not acting
- Vaporize the trash with the vaporizer.
- You must vaporize the trash in each waste basket you pass by.
Failure to do so will result in someone calling security.
around the Accounting Department but I keep hitting a dead end.
Where should I go?
- You need to work your way through the maze
to the back of the room.
- It would help to draw a map of the partition maze as you go through
- See the back of this hint book for a map of the Scumsoft accounting
I see my ship
sitting in Scumsoft's vehicle bay. How do I get to it?
- You can't from where you are know. At least
you know it's safe!
- You'll be able to get to it later... If you're good enough!
in the hallway, I came up a locked door with a keycard slot and
facial scanner. Do I need to get inside?
- But, you'll have to get a few items first.
the jelly sandwich into the keycard slot, but nothing happens.
- Well, what did you expect?
- You're sick.
- I can't believe you're reading this.
- Gotcha again. Isn't this fun?
I can't find
the keycard to open the door in the hallway.
- The boss is probably the only one with a
keycard to this door.
- The boss' office is in the Accounting Department.
- Go into the boss' office when the boss is away. Get the keycard
off the top of his desk.
I've got the
keycard, but I can't pass the facial scan test.
- Since this is Elmo's keycard, it's probably
scanning for Elmo's face.
- There's got to be a picture of Elmo Pug somewhere.
- Find the picture of Elmo hanging on a partition in the west wing
of the Accounting Department.
- Get the picture and make a copy of it on the photocopy machine.
- Make sure you hang the picture back up when you're done!
How do I get
the picture of Elmo out of the Accounting Office?
- Why would an employee of Scumsoft want to
steal a picture of Elmo?
- You'll have to find another way of securing a picture of Elmo.
- Hey, isn't that a photocopy machine near Elmo's picture?
- Get Elmo's picture. Make a photocopy of it in the machine. Don't
forget to put the picture back!
How do I pass
the facial scan once I have the photocopy?
- Insert the keycard first.
- Then, hold up the copy before the monitor performs the facial
scan. Be quick!
How do I get
to the middle platform where the Two Guys are being held captive?
- You need a bridge.
- Push the button near the side wall.
- Just say "push button" from where you are standing now.
How do I free
the Two Guys from Andromeda from the jello?
- You need to somehow dissolve the jello.
- Use your vaporizer.
- Type "vaporize jello".
Oh no! The bridge
retracted and now I can't get back to the outer platform!
- You're up a creek, sorry!
- It's part of the game.
- Don't worry, be happy! You aren't dead... Yet!
I just can't
get the hang of the Nukem Dukem Robot. What have I got to do to
punch Elmo Pug's lights out?
- Don't forget, every wasted movement will
use up your energy. Make every punch count.
- Don't walk around too much. Let Elmo come to you.
- Block his punches (M key) and let him punch his own lights out!
the Two Guys, but while flying away from Pestulon, the pirates blast
my ship and we're all doomed!
- You'll have to fight back.
- You need to use your weapons to fight back when you get the "incoming
- Look at your computer screen and select weapons.
- Turn on your shield to protect the back of your ship.
I can't figure
out how to shoot down the skull fighters with the weapons system.
- Select attack speed on the main computer
- Using the mouse or arrow keys, try to line up the cross-hairs
with the moving ship.
- When you achieve a "lock on", press the space bar to
it impossible to "lock on" to a skull fighter while in
- Are you in "attack speed"?
- Try slowing down the speed of the game.
- Instead of just following the ship with the cross hairs, try to
anticipate its movement.
to fight off the pirates, but the ship's light speed is non-functional
so I can't fly anywhere. Now what?
- Return to cockpit view.
- Once you are back in cockpit view, one of the Two Guys from Andromeda
finds the light speed panel fixes your problem.